Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Storybook Favorites

 

Books Read Literature - Free image on Pixabay

Old Books


    Each storybook I selected intrigued me not only by their titles but as well as the creative route the author used to retell these classic stories. 


    Wizarding World Tales immediately caught my attention due to my affinity for all things Harry Potter. The title and the introduction made it clear that this storybook would be something I am interested in. The intro made me curious to see how and which myths would be incorporated to an already fantasy universe. The layout and design of this storybook was very simple and organized. It made it easy to find each story and navigate the website. For each story the author used images that related to the setting of story. It helped the imagery of the story and created a picture in my head while I was reading. I also appreciated the author's use of under appreciated characters in the Harry Potter world.  


    I believe that any Sooner fan would fall in love with this storybook. Modern Myths takes the classic story of Helen of Troy and the Trojan Horse and adapts them into a modern day college football battle between rival universities. The introduction did a great job at setting the scene for the impending battle. It also helped introduce the characters and their traits. The author's use of imagery worked in their favor as well for this storybook. They included pictures of Lincoln Riley and included a description of their role in the story underneath. 


    The last storybook I read through caught my attention with its classic title. Tales of Davy Jones Locker recalls all the original stories of pirates such as Blackbeard, Ching Shih, and Calico Jack. However, it adds a spin to the mix by the introduction of the character Mari, a cruise ship employee who wakes up in Davy Jones locker after falling overboard her cruise liner. The introduction seamlessly flowed into the first part of Mari meeting calico Jack. It made me more eager to keep reading and see if she can make it out of there. The design portion of these stories were my favorite over any of the others I read. Because these stories were based off of historical figures the author included drawings of what these characters would've looked like. They also included pictures of items that were of importance in the stories. It helped with the imagery and visualization of the story.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 15 Story: Dante's Inferno The Video Game

  Video game Nathan had finally convinced his mom to buy him the best birthday present ever. The all new, Dante's Inferno: The Video Gam...