Thursday, August 27, 2020

Introduction

My name is Hunter Morris. I am from Virginia, more specifically the northern D.C metro area. Back home is very different compared to here in Norman, Oklahoma. Life in Oklahoma seems to be at a much slower pace than it does back home. I am a student at Gaylord School of Journalism. My major is Creative Media Production. I hope to get into film or music video production when I graduate. I am also minoring in Spanish. My dream is to travel abroad to a spanish speaking country (preferably Spain) and spend time there speaking the language and learning more about the culture. 

In my free time I usually like to read or watch a good film. My favorite types of books are classic novels. I'm currently reading Emma by Jane Austen, and loving it! When it comes to movies and tv I'm not picky whatsoever. I enjoy pretty much anything. However, I do have an affinity for the Marvel comics movies. I am picky when it comes to music. I mostly listen to alternative, pop-punk, and rock. You would never catch me listening to country music I'm sorry to say. I mean no disrespect to those who listen, it's just not my cup of tea. 

When I'm not watching movies or listening to music I am usually at practice. I am on the All Girl cheerleading squad here at OU. We cheer at football games, basketball, volleyball, men and women's gymnastics, soccer, and wrestling. On top of all that we have our own season during the winter break where we stay on campus and practice twice a day everyday until nationals in January. SO what I'm basically trying to say is that when I do get free time I revel in it. 

Last semester was a bit of a peek at what we are getting to experience fully this semester. I have taken online classes before so I feel pretty confident in how this semester will pan out. One of my favorite classes from last semester was actually online. It was called Music in Film. I got to learn about different composers and what their work did for the mood of a film. It was a great class for me because I got to watch a bunch of classic films but also got to learn some music theory and what different speeds of rhythm can do to an audience. I even got to take a "modern" song and put it to a silent film. I had chosen a Charlie Chaplin film called "The Circus" and used Britney Spears' "Circus" as the background music. 

File:The Circus (1928) - Hap Hadley poster.jpg - Wikimedia Commons  
Film poster for Charlie Chaplin's "The Circus"

14 comments:

  1. Hi Hunter, my name is Addison! I too like movies, however, I don't favor many genres over the other except for Comedy and Quentin Tarantino. I also love to read but I do not have as much time as I would like but I do enjoy science fiction. I think your Circus project is really awesome! I love that Britney Spears song, it is my favorite to dance to on Just Dance. I also do not like country I've lived in OKC for 15 years and I still don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hunter! I love that we have so much in common! Movies and books are my life! When I have free time I'm usually reading a book or watching a movie. I'm also a huge nerd about all things superhero! I have always loved all things Marvel and DC so were totally on the same train with that! We also have super similar music tastes! My absolute favorite band is The Band CAMINO, they're mostly alternative/Indie. I'm super excited to get to know you a little better throughout the semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! We really do have a lot in common. One of my favorite bands, 5 Seconds of Summer is actually having The Band CAMINO open for them on their next tour I've listened to some of their stuff and really liked it!

      Delete
  3. Hey Hunter!
    I'm not the biggest fan of classic novels, but I loved Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice—I would highly recommend it if you haven't already read it. I also love alternative music and am not a fan of country (it all sounds the same to me). It's super impressive that you can manage athletics and school, I don't think I'd be able to. I hope you still get to do some of that this school year if the pandemic dies down a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hunter! You seem like a very busy person, especially since you're apart of OU athletics! I really liked reading about your hobbies, I also love movies and books (though recently I have been leaning a bit more toward movies). The D.C. area of Virginia sounds super busy. I have never traveled there myself but I have heard that it's beautiful! Anyways, it was nice meeting you and good luck with the rest of this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great combination of major and minor, Hunter! By becoming fluent in other language, you expand your range of creative production and the audiences that you can reach. That sounds wonderful! And that music mash-up creation sounds very similar in spirit to the kinds of storytelling experiments you might do in this class, where mixing ancient and modern can result in something totally new and unexpected. I am a fan of the way that being online and connecting through our blogs and websites (instead of face to face) gives us new and different ways to share words and images, sound and video... so I hope you will have some great creating-and-sharing adventures in class this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hunter! I can definitely see Oklahoma being a big change from D.C. Metro area. I hope you are still liking your time down here though! Oh wow your schedule sounds crazy. It's really impressive that you're so involved. Oh wow that Music in Film class sounds really interesting. Maybe if I need to be take another semester I'd get to take it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Hunter! You seem so busy! Like dang, I commend you for being a part of that and keeping up with your work like that's impressive! I have never actually read anything by Jane Austen, and so I feel so behind so if you have any recommendations I would live to hear them! I hope that you eventually get to go to Spain, I know that it might be tough right now, but hopefully one day. Good luck with your semester and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Hunter, I see that you're into Marvel, and was just curious if you've ever read any Marvel comics? For myself, I'm more of a DC fan and have read basically everything that has to do with Batman and the Batfamily, along with Hawkeye, Deadpool, Winter Soldier, and Black Widow comics for Marvel. Really, I'm just a huge comic book buff at the end of the day. That said, what are some of your favorite Marvel movies?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hunter! It was nice to get to know a bit more about you! That's interesting when you say Norman is at a slower pace than Virginia! Have you gotten used to the slower pace or not really? That sounds like a really cool dream you have. I would love to learn Spanish and travel abroad as well! Best of luck this semester, I am looking forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Hunter! I'm actually a Gaylord student as well; it seems that there's quite a few of us in this class. If you're a movie buff, I'll always have to suggest Knives Out; it's a murder-mystery movie starring Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, and Jamie Lee Curtis (amongst others), and it's quite possible one of my favorite movies ever. I also took Music in Film about a year or two ago! It was one of my favorite classes, and I really loved getting to watch some great movies in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Hunter,
    It was nice to get to know you a little bit. This semester is totally different when interacting with other students. It sounds like you are very busy like myself when it comes to balancing school and athletics. I look forward to reading through some of your work this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Hunter! It was really fun to read your introduction. I also really like Marvel movies and am not the biggest fan of country music. I've grown up in Oklahoma, but I could just never get into it. I'm sure that Norman seems a lot slower than the DC area! I visited DC for spring break a few years ago, and I definitely got that vibe. The class you talked about sounds so interesting! Putting modern music over silent movies sounds like a really creative type of class. I hope you're enjoying this class as well, I think it also gives lots of opportunities to be creative as well. Good luck with the rest of this class!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Hunter! I really enjoyed getting to know you a little bit, even if it was super late in the semester. I too am a lover of Jane Austen novels, which I don't think is super common, so it brings me joy that you also love them! Also, I'm totally with you on country music. It's simply not for me. Anyway, I hope you had a great semester and have a very happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Week 15 Story: Dante's Inferno The Video Game

  Video game Nathan had finally convinced his mom to buy him the best birthday present ever. The all new, Dante's Inferno: The Video Gam...