Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Reading Notes: Inferno Part B


Lucifer devouring Judas, Cassius and Brutus



I just finished reading the excerpts from Dante's Inferno. I was taken with the imagery Dante used to describe Lucifer's dwelling. I liked the way he described Lucifer as a very large being with three heads. He was able to juxtapose this by explaining how beautiful he was. I found it quite comical that he was able to describe him a beautiful and menacing all at the same time. 

The way he described Lucifer was something different than I had ever seen before. Most of us picture a red man with horns, a tail and a pitchfork. But this depiction showed him is as a monster of another sort. One with three faces and a set of wings. I like the idea of changing the way the audience usually perceives a known character. I might take that approach in future stories I write. 

One thing that stayed similar to the common knowledge of hell was the eternal torture. What was seen with Brutus, Cassius and Judas seemed terrible and horrific. It truly explained why Dante was so afraid and hid behind Virgil so much.


Bibliography: SatanDante's Divine Comedy translated by Tony Kline (2002)      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 15 Story: Dante's Inferno The Video Game

  Video game Nathan had finally convinced his mom to buy him the best birthday present ever. The all new, Dante's Inferno: The Video Gam...